Older and Enjoying Life?

Older and Enjoying Life?

Thursday, January 3, 2008

A New Year

Is it just me, or does it seem like every year gets shorter? It seems like just a couple of weeks ago that I was trying to get out my fall decorations and wanted my house to be "all fall". Then, just a few minutes later, I decided not to get the Halloween stuff out in force this year, I just went and bought a few new things to make it "ghostly". Well, of course, ten minutes later I was planning for Thanksgiving and wished I HAD gotten all the Halloween stuff drug out of the attic so that I would have my Thanksgiving turkeys out, too. I in my infinite wisdom had packed it up all together last year to "make it easier"? Wow. How do people who work outside the home get this stuff done? I used to work a J.O.B., too, and I am certain I don't remember feeling this old and tired and pressed to "get it done"!
I mean, who wants to crawl around in an attic when it's dusty and freezing cold? I decided to just go get some new things...just a few. So, that's what I did. Had the whole family over and cooked for the crew, but now I was faced with another dilemma...with all the falling leaves and fat pumpkins throughout the house, how can I change it to Christmas without once again having to crawl around in the attic? I certainly don't want to go buy a bunch more Christmas stuff considering that the attic is bursting with decorations in every style and color, plus a bunch of inherited items that just "can't be thrown away".
I must not be very creative, because I just couldn't figure out how to make brown, green, orange pumpkins and turkeys look like Santa. I'm sure you know the next step...put all that stuff up and get out the myriad boxes of Christmas, but make sure you do it the very next day after the hardest cooking day of the year. Rest for the weary cook? Not.
Christmas lights, reindeer, sleighs, all the outdoor stuff...hubby got smart and had his electrical crew come over and install everything. Boy! Snap the fingers and it's done. Can he hire someone for ME? No? You mean I have to do all the inside stuff by myself? Wow. Ho ho ho, jingle, jingle...oh what fun it is.
All that tree-ing, sleigh-ing, Santa-ing. Yippee. Just dragging out a bunch of decorations that I will have to pack back up again in a short four weeks. UNFAIR! We ought to strike or something. They should change Halloween to September and Thanksgiving to the FIRST Thursday in November. That would at least give us another few weeks of Christmas to enjoy!
Does anyone agree? Christmas should last at least two months. Just not fair to those of us that have to do the baking, decorating, lighting, entertaining...and it seems that they shorten the season every year! Wow. Sure am glad I work from home. Not sure how I would have gotten all this done if I had a nine-to-five.

No comments: