Older and Enjoying Life?

Older and Enjoying Life?

Monday, March 5, 2007

If YOU'RE older, how about your PARENTS?

Boy, I tell you! Today I received a 5:00 am call from my elderly (96, yes he's old enough for my grandfather) father. He said that he needed help...apparently he and my mother had both fallen, but Mother was in bad shape. So, hubby and I threw on some clothes, ran to their home, and checked out what had happened.
Do you watch horror movies? That's what came to mind when I saw my sweet (88 yr. old) mom. She had fallen and cut a really bad gash in her forehead and one at the corner of her eye. Poor thing. I took her to the ER for stitches. Nasty stuff, that.
What does one do when their loving parents are the ones that need to be cared for just like a small child? Has anyone had any experiences they'd like to share, or even questions? I'd love to start a discussion on parenting the parents. Maybe a new blog is in the wings?
I have made a searching and fearless decision (finally, after 2 years of agonizing and checking out various options) to add on a new wing to my house. They have to be taken care of, and we simply don't have the room in our current home. Rather than taking on a HUGE added expense of building a new home right now, we have decided to give my parents the old wing and build a new one for us. That means that I will now have "big kids" underfoot all day 24/7/365. Pretty scary stuff. Not sure if I am ready for that type of commitment, but, hey, they ARE my parents and did pretty well by me.
I've searched out all kinds of things, and this seems to be the best for us right now. If you have any links or ideas to share, LET ME KNOW!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Senior Care places (like babysitters) for your parents? My parents love theirs and keeps them away for hours! I also had some home companions for awhile. You might need them if you plan to have your aprents live with you. NOt everyone can do that.